#HappyBirthday to Henry VIII, former King of England, Ireland and France, Founder of the Church of England, Defender of the Faith, father to Edward VI, Mary I and Elizabeth I, and of course, the bloke who ordered the Mary Rose to be built.
#OnThisDay in 1491, Henry VIII was born.
During his lifetime, King Henry transformed religion in England, caused many a marriage controversy, and gained a reputation as a contemptuous, erratic King.
Certainly one of our more animated owners!
#OTD 1491 birth of a man who needs no introduction. The second son of Henry VII & Elizabeth of York, Henry VIII is undoubtedly the most recognisable British monarch (with his daughter, Elizabeth I & great-niece, Mary Queen of Scots, probably a close 2nd & 3rd) #tudor#henryviii
Anyone who is not Henry VIII and yet claims to be seizing “Henry VIII Powers” is in fact seizing “I Wish I Was As Amazing As Henry VIII But Am In Fact A Weak, Petty, Pitiful, Attention-Needing Bag of Weasel Anuses Powers”
God gave us a class system to divide the poor from the slightly less poor ensuring that the ruling elite could play one against the other and maintain their own grip on power. God has all the best ideas!!
- completely, completely commit to using words & facial gestures that make it appear that I really, really, truly and actually give two shits about the lives of peasants
- congratulate myself on my efforts to feign interest in the lives of bloody poor people
- stand on a balcony feeling the full weight of my amazingness
- blame the Pope, Anne Boleyn, France, literally everyone named Tom or last night's spicy eel pies for anything that goes wrong
- keep it real
This one is also by Pieter Aertsen (circa 1508 –1575), who by the way was called Tall Piet because he was tall.
When a Dutch person is called tall, he's really tall ;)
Peasants by the Hearth, 1560.
So much to see, let's do a little detail thread.
- open eyes
- wish I hadn’t
- remember that opening eyes is a prerequisite to breakfast
- remember that a nap is a prerequisite to lunch
- remember that lunch is a prerequisite rumpity pumpity
- rumpity pumpity
Dear America - You work tirelessly to ensure the safety of 10-week old foetuses but are just as serious about protecting the rights of those who use 10-year-olds as target practise. Here in the 16th century we are having a hard time with this …
3 Stages of a Relationship:
1. Elation: That early stage when she's the lady you imagine she is in your imagination
2. Alarm: You slowly realise the lady she actually is & apparently has been all along
3. Shock: When she makes absolutely no effort to become your imagination lady
Let nothing stand in the way of your dreams - not wives, not the headaches of setting up an arrest and show trial, not the challenges of working with a beheading/wedding coordinator, nor questions of what betrothal date is or is not in poor taste. Nothing!! #HenryVIIIinspirationtwitter.com/tudorhistory/s…
Lots of firsts today.
First day for Juliet learning to present our kitchen education sessions.
First day for Juliet in her new, bespoke costume.
First day for Jeremiah overseeing someone presenting an education session.
She was great.
She looked great.
He was superL
More firsts today.
First day for Harry learning to present our kitchen education sessions.
First day for Harry in her new, bespoke costume.
First day for Zak overseeing someone presenting an education session.
She was great.
She looked great.
He was superG
My dear friend, Mike, is hosting an online event on zoom all about Henry VIII. As the UK’s No.1 Henry he’s worked across the country & abroad bringing the (in)famous monarch to life. For a fun evening on 26.6.22 check the link!